external task question

Options
System
System Administrator
edited July 16, 2021 in TeamSite #1
Hi:

I'm using Teamsite 5.0, and I'm trying to start a data deployment task as an external task within a workflow. I know this can be done because the documentation mentioned it, though the details were not given.

What exactly should be entered for the external task to begin data deployment. Can I just enter the command $iwhome/local/bin/iwdd.ipl cfg=config.cfg deployment=deploymentName at the Command etnry on the Workflow Builder? I've currently implemented it, but the workflow stalls when it gets to the deployment task. There's very little feedback from the workflow, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've also tried to place a $iwhome/iw-perl/bin/iwperl before the iwdd.ipl to no avail.

I much appreciate all your help.

Thank you.

Comments

• you are saying that the workflow stalls, it is probably processing the iwdd command.
    you should be running it as a system command.
    are you using windows or unix?
    is the system call in an external task in your workflow.
    do you transition back the state of the workflow at the end of the external (cgi) task
    Farzam
  • what I suggest you should do is to run the external task from the command line and see what is happening.
    the workflow builder can create the .wft file for you and in that file extract the external task into a file and trying running it... good luck
  • Thank you very much for replying. I'm running on an NT machine. After the external task, I have the workflow transition to an end task. Basically, the deploying step is the last task of the workflow.

I've tried to run the command on the command line, and then it works fine. Do you know if there is a workflow log file somewhere where some status messages of the workflow can be found.

Thank you very much.
  • type $iw-home\iwgetlocation -a
    and see where your log files are getting stored.
    in the external task after the iwdd is completed do you transit to the next task (callback function)??
  • Remember that the workflow external task gets sent up to 4 arguments relating to the job, e.g, the jobid, taskid, etc. For all external tasks you should create a perl script that accepts these arguments. You can then within the perl script call the data deploy function. You need the taskid argument in order to return the callback status to the workflow processor. Most likely since you are attempting to call the data deploy sript directly it is choking on the workflow arguments. Then since it is not issuing a callback to the workflow, the task just "hangs." It is "hanging" until it gets the callback.
    Good luck Bob
TeamSite Developer Resources

• Docker Automation

• LiveSite Content Services (LSCS) REST API

• Single Page Application (SPA) Modules

• TeamSite Add-ons

If you are interested in gaining full access to the content, you can register for a My Support account here.
OpenText CE Products
TeamSite
APIs