Appworks sample app for CS without OTDS

Options

Hello,

I'd like to know whether the demo app

https://developer.opentext.com/awd/resources/articles/1501648/appworks+demo+app+for+content+server

will work on appworks where tempo is installed with content server authentication only (no otds)?

I installed the app and configured base url but it is saying authentication failed.

Thanks.

Jaroslav

Comments

• hi Jaroslav,

I think it won't work because in the demo app otagtoken is used for authentication whilst in CS based auth OTCSTICKET should be used.

• Thanks Marcin. Could you please share a basic sample script how to get OTCSTICKET from AppWorks for my scenario (CS auth)?

Thank you.

Jaroslav

• Hello,

is there anyone who developed appworks application which is using otcsticket and can share auth script?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Jaroslav

• Ferdinand Prantl
    Ferdinand Prantl E Community Moderator
    Options

When you start an AppWorks application and the page you're opening needs authentication, you'll be authenticated against the OTDS connected to AppWorks and the OTDSTicket can be used for SSO to other server. If you want to communicate with a CS, which is not connected to the same OTDS, you will need to implement some login UI. The user will see another login dialog and they will have to log in again. Is the double login acceptable for your customer?

• Hi Ferdinand,

thanks. This is clear answer. But, could you just tell me how the tempo works without OTDS inside OTAG and without displaying any additional login screen?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Jaroslav

• Want to check if it is possible to retrieve OTCSTicket through writing Custom Service? It will be nice if some can scribble steps...

• Ferdinand Prantl
    Ferdinand Prantl E Community Moderator
    Options

When using OTAG in a mobile device, you enter and save you credentials in the OTE application container. OTE uses the credentials to obtain the OTDSTicket from OTDS.

When opening the OTAG web access, the browser redirects to OTDS, which does the authenticatoin and redirects back with the authorizaion token. The administrator has usually configured SSO with their AD+ADFS, so that the users don't need to log in in the browser. The redirects return immediately with the OTDSTicket for the identity from the Windows session.

Once you login to OTDS, you get a token usable from JavaScript. Other services, which your application is going to use are supposed to accept it to avoid another login. The OTDSTicket is accepted by CS 10.5.

It's not important where the OTDS runs. The bundled OTDS saves you time when installing OTAG alone. If you install OTAG at a customer, OTDS is usually deployed separately and used by multiple OT products.

OTCSTicket is not the only header which can authenticate the REST API requests. You can use any other ticket acceptable by login callbacks on your CS, including hardcoded credentials; I use the Basic Authentication for development purposes too.

Summarized, when your application is hosted in some portal, the portal provides the authentication. The authentication token should be accepted by the CS or there should be some module deployed which can establish the trust without another CS login.

Once you perform the very first call to the CS REST API - it's all the same what token you used - you should store the OTCSTicket from the response headers for the future communications. Every CS REST API request returns a fresh OTCSTicket, so that it doesn't expire when you're constantly communicating.

You'll find code samples for the authentication in this forum.

• How to get rid of 401 Unauthorized error in mobile?

• How to get rid of 401 Unauthorized error in mobile?